[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 08:48:10 PST 2007

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:

> Last time I checked F8 KDE sets PA up as session-daemon.

Last time I tried it wasn't working, I admit it was some time ago, but
as I don't really want to enter again the details of KDE configuration
on Gentoo, I'll gladly live myself as it is, it works just fine for me
as systemwide daemon.

> If you run PA as system daemon, than you should use a different
> "default.pa", because you certainly don't want to load
> module-x11-publish or module-gconf.

As you said, to use systemwide instance you need to be more aware of the
insight, so I leave those as an exercise to the reader. Actually if you
want to use systemwide in Gentoo, the simplest thing is to disable both
gnome and X flags for PulseAudio, so that the two modules aren't built
at all. In case of gnome flag (gconf module) a warning is displayed
after installation.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/