[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and as the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:14:57 PST 2007

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I really appreciate it.

On November 19, 2007 09:58:37 pm Lennart Poettering wrote:
> My educated guess is that some of your apps use PA natively, others
> don't but hardcode are configured to use the raw ALSA devices, or raw
> OSS devices. Now, PA closes all devices after a short time of
> idle. So, what might happen to you is that you first use a native
> app. That causes PA top open the device. If you then use a non-native
> app, then it won't work.  But after the idleness timeout it will
> suddenly and magically start to work, because PA closed the devices.

Voila ! That explains the weird behaviour seen with all the apps. But, if the
option "exit-idle-time" is responsible then, I don't have it set in
daemon.conf !

> If you use PA this way then local authentication works by membership
> in the group pulse-rt. What you described sounds like authentication
> errors. So please make sure that all users who try to access PA are in
> that group.

> Oops, that group is "pulse-access", not "pulse-rt". Sorry for the
> confusion.

 You almost got me there ! I really thought this was something new, not
mentioned anywhere in the docs ! :-)

Yes, I'd set up my user account to be a member of the group pulse-access and
hence, I wouldn't think of them as access errors. You explanation above,
about pulse acquiring the resources and relinquishing them after a predefined
period has elapsed explains it, save the 'exit-idle-time' part.

As I mentioned in my previous mail things were working just perfect by having
pulseaudio launch as per user daemon. I didn't until today realized the fact
that the script I've written to automatically launch pulseaudio as per user
daemon by kdm, was actually launching pulseaudio as the root user !! SO,
pulseaudio was being launched as root user daemon without the '--system'
switch but with, '-D' switch !

Now that, I've set it right, pulseaudio launches by the user logging in.
That's the best part. What's annoying is error messages are back only a bit
different this time. These messages seem to be limited to xine and xine
dependent apps like amarok, kaffeine etc & appear when I hit next/previous on
amarok. Other apps not dependent on xine seemingly are running well. No error
messages so far.

The error message I get is "Audio output unavailable. The device is busy. Xine
engine parameter:    ".
After a while, the error message changes to "xine was unable to
initialize any audio drivers" !!

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Kevin