[pulseaudio-discuss] pstream.c: Failed to import memory block.

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:36:16 PST 2007

On 11/20/07, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20.11.07 13:48, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > > What are the access modes of the pulse files in /dev/shm?
> >
> > jonsmirl at terra:/dev/shm$ ls -la
> > total 8
> > drwxrwxrwt  2 root  root       60 2007-11-20 13:39 .
> > drwxr-xr-x 12 root  root    14740 2007-11-20 09:07 ..
> > -r--------  1 pulse pulse 2097152 2007-11-20 13:39 pulse-shm-4056509080
> > jonsmirl at terra:/dev/shm$
>
> Ah, so you are running PA as system-wide daemon? Please don't do that
> unless you really know what you do.

I just have the standard Ubuntu package installed. I would suppose
that whoever made it knew what they were doing.

> PA makes SHM segments only accessible to users with identical user
> ids. Apparently in your case you coppied the auth cookie to all your
> users, or disabled auth entirely -- however the SHM segment is still
> not accessible to normal users.

I didn't do anything special on Ubuntu, I'm just using auth in it's
default config.

> You probably hit this bug:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/95
>
> You can fix this, by disabling SHM data access in daemon.conf. The fix
> for #95 will do just that anyway.

It may be worth checking things out on Ubuntu. The default Ubuntu
config may be different than Fedora and it is causing errors for
pulse.

http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/110