[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio with kernel 2.6.23 (and earlier?) insists on using OSS, not ALSA

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Nov 25 10:22:08 PST 2007

On Thu, 22.11.07 01:29, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:

> I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
> I: main.c: Found user 'pulse' (UID 31) and group 'pulse' (GID 62).
> I: main.c: Successfully dropped root privileges.
> I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
> I: main.c: Dude, your kernel stinks! The chef's recommendation today is Linux with high-resolution timers enabled!
> E: module-alsa-sink.c: Failed to set hardware parameters: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device="plughw:0""): initialization failed.
> E: main.c: Module load failed.
> E: main.c: failed to initialize daemon.
> I: main.c: Daemon terminated.
>
> (of course it fails in just the same way if run non-systemwide: I'm only
> using a systemwide instance because I like to get sound even when X
> isn't running.)

Hmm, could you please report this to the ALSA people? This looks like
an ALSA problem.

Hmm, is it possible that you are using incompatible versions of
alsa-lib and the in-kernel ALSA stuff? Maybe some left-over alsa-lib
in /usr/local?

> I'd fix the `your kernel stinks', only hrtimers *are* enabled, and the
> clock_getres() call succeeds! ALSA seems to be tripping things up again:
>
> clock_getres(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {0, 999848}) = 0
> ioctl(2, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, 0xbfc58650) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
> write(2, "I: main.c: Dude, your kernel sti"..., 115I: main.c: Dude, your kernel stinks! The chef's recommendation today is Linux with high-resolution timers enabled!
> ) = 115

clock_getres should return {0, 1} or suchlike if hrtimers are
available. Please note that hrtimers are only available on x86 (not
even x86-64) on released kernels right now. Are you running x86-64?

Also note that this message is merely informative. You shouln't be too
concerned if you lack hrtimers. In 0.9.9 I will enable support for
"Glitch-Free" playback iff hrtimers are availale, but in <= 0.9.8 not
having hrtimers doesn't make too much of a difference.