[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio as a systemwide deamon and?as?the default ALSA plugin doesn't seem to work right.... ?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Nov 25 14:01:22 PST 2007

On Tue, 20.11.07 16:55, Kevin Williams (kevkim55 at gmail.com) wrote:

> On November 20, 2007 03:14:47 pm Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > The suspend timeout is controlled via the "timeout" parameter of
> > module-suspend-on-idle.
>
> I commented that line out now and it still doesn't help in anyway !
>
> Running xine with verbose mode gives me the following messages:
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Invalid argument
> *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Invalid argument
> AFD changed from -2 to -1

It seems that the PA backedn of xine is passing invalid arguments to
one of the libpulse API functions, which then returns PA_ERR_INVALID.
Any chance you could debug this?  i.e. find out which function it
exactly is that returns the error and what the parameters are that are
passed to it?

> My guess is that, pulseaudio is not fast enough to respond to the clients
> requests as hitting next/previous with a brief pause say 6-7 seconds
> does not

Uh? PA not "fast" enough? Unlikely. I don't see any way how "speed"
should come into play here.

> produce any error message nor does make it the app crash. Hitting
> next/previous in quick succession gurantees the error messages followed by a
> craash. Hitting next/previous with a gap less than 6 seconds produces the
> error message most of the time. But, anything less than 3 secs would
> definitely produce those errors.

Looks a bit like a memory corruption issue to me.

> As I've mentioned before, all the apps work fine when using alsa or arts
> without pulseaudio. Hitting next/previous in rapid succession doesn't cause
> any problems and it works.
>
> Any pointers ? Should you need more info I'd be glad to provide.

Flameeyes, maybe you have an idea of what is going on?