[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio 0.9.8 still unhappy with ALSA (for different reasons?)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Nov 25 17:07:07 PST 2007

On Mon, 26.11.07 00:35, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:

> > Hmm. This doesn*t look good. What kind of device is this? This is
> > really a strange error.
>
> emu10k1:
>
> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 04)
>         Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4620 SBLive!
>         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

Arrg. emu10k1 again. Seems to be a very problematic sound card. mmap
with that card seems to be broken in many ways.

This thread on the ALSA ML deals with a related problem:

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-November/004419.html

It might be a good idea to contact the ALSA devs about this. I cannot
really do this from here, since I don't have access to an emu10k1.

> > The hrtimer warning just tells you to get a better kernel with
> > hrtimers enabled. That's all. PA works fine without them, but it's
> > recommended to have them.
>
> Er...
>
> CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
>
> And glibc 2.7, which certainly has hrtimer support. What else is needed?

hrtimers are only available on x86 right now on release kernels, not
even x86-64. And a HPET would be good too.

Or install some useful distro, such as Fedora, which includes hrtimer
support for x86-64, too.

> btw, another reason to run a systemwide pulseaudio configuration: if
> you're using MPD, either you do that or you mess about with
> authentication in order to allow the MPD user to talk to *any* user's
> PulseAudio instance, and you *still* don't get any sound when they've
> logged out of X... (plus, when they log out, mpd loses its PulseAudio
> connection as PA shuts down).

Doesn't adding the mpd user to the "pulse-access" group fix your problem?