[pulseaudio-discuss] A pulseaudio appliance

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 09:43:05 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Matthieu Baechler <matthieu.baechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/3/07, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/3/07, Matthieu Baechler <matthieu.baechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm currently looking for an appliance that would offer the same
> > > feature as AirTunes from Apple, but obviously, using free software,
> > > and thus pulseaudio.
> > >
> > > Does any one have some links pointing to such hardware ?
> > >
> > > It has to :
> > >
> > > 1/ be small
> > > 2/ be pretty (as in "it must be accepted by my wife")
> > > 3/ be power efficient (less than ~10W, ~1W in standby)
> > > 4/ be silent (no moving part)
> >
> > Use a NSLU2 and plug in USB devices for 802.11G and USB audio
>
> I already considered this solution, but unfortunately it doesn't
> really match the esthetics requirements (from my wife point's of
> view).

I work in this are and there isn't really anything else but a Sonos.
Sonos is Linux based, expensive, and they have only partially released
the source. You can't really modify it.

NSLU2 is best choice. Just hide it behind something. It is quite
small, size of a paperback novel. I use one to drive my multi-room
audio system. It has five USB audio dongles attached and a 500GB disk.
It runs five copies of mpd. I control it over 802.11G using a Nokia
N800.

You already ruled out Roku and Slimdevices. Both are closed.

Next step is to build a miniITX system but that will cost you $500
before you are finished.