[pulseaudio-discuss] pa_mutex_unlock failed, what to do?

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 16 11:22:55 PDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Sat, 13.10.07 17:29, Jim Carter (jimc at math.ucla.edu) wrote:
> Apparently the bluetooth plugin for ALSA is not compatible with
> PA. Several people reported this already. I guess I should get myself
> some kind of BT headphones so that I can actually test that. My
> assumption is that

I'll bet Bluetooth is telling its signal source something about the format
it prefers (possibly incorrectly), and of all the players only PA is
willing to make the needed transformation.  Also the choice of timing
parameters is sub-optimal (for HSP/HFP) and they're working on improving
that.  What does PA do that nobody else can?

I got Motorola HT820 phones.  I have a fairly extensive howto here,
describing the a2dpd implementation; however, the latest one (bluez-3.19
used by me, 3.20 is latest) differs a lot behind the scenes, and I'll be
re-doing the section on Bluetooth setup when I have working content to put
in it.
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/documents/bluetooth-0703.html

> > By the way, I had two presumably unrelated problems.  First, the daemon
> > complains: "I: main.c: Dude, your kernel stinks! The chef's recommendation
> > today is Linux with high-resolution timers enabled!"
>
> hpet support and hrtimer support is not the same. Also, this is not
> going to fix your BT problems.
>
> To have this message go away you should enable CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS
> and CONFIG_HPET_TIMER. An unpatched kernel can do this on x86 only
> right now. (not even amd64)

OK, I'll work on this at a lower priority.  My architecture is x86 (32
bit).

> > Second, PulseAudio would crash on startup with this message:
> > I: module-suspend-on-idle.c: Source bluetooth.monitor idle for too long,
> > 	suspending ...
> > pulseaudio: pulsecore/source.c:273: pa_source_post: Assertion
> > 	`PA_SOURCE_OPENED(s->thread_info.state)' failed.
>
> Uh oh. That shouldn't happen. Is that the most recent SVN snapshot? I
> am quite sure I fixed a bug like that a couple of days ago.

Snapshot is about 2 weeks old.  I'll update and rebuild.

Thanks for all your help.  Let me know if I can help by testing stuff.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)