[pulseaudio-discuss] Using pulseaudio with surround sound for DVD playing

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Sat Oct 20 12:12:04 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 20:53 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
--snip--
>  2 [soundblaster   ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Value [CT4832]
>                       SBLive! Value [CT4832] (rev.8, serial:0x80271102) at 0x2c00, irq 16

--snip--
> ...and if anybody has a hint for the Soundblaster, that would be nice,
> too. It has two plugs for analog line out, so I think it should do at
> least 4.0 sound. Maybe somebody also owns this card and already found
> those other channels.

I have almost that exact same card and it works quite well for basic 4
channel surround. The alsa devices for me are hw:0,0 and hw:0,1. In my
default.pa I have:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0 sink_name=alsa_front channel_map=front-left,front-right rate=48000
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 sink_name=alsa_rear channel_map=rear-left,rear-right rate=48000
load-module module-combine sink_name=combined master=alsa_front slaves=alsa_rear channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right channels=4
set-default-sink combined

The one thing to note here is that this setup works great for surround
movies in mplayer. However, watching them in Totem actually requires a
DIFFERENT setup since mplayer and totem seem to have different ideas
about what channels they should play audio to. So for totem, I use:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0 sink_name=alsa_front channel_map=front-left,front-right rate=48000
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 sink_name=alsa_rear channel_map=side-left,side-right rate=48000
load-module module-combine sink_name=combined master=alsa_front slaves=alsa_rear channel_map=front-left,front-right,side-left,side-right channels=4
set-default-sink combined

Hope that helps.

--
Alex Malinovich