[pulseaudio-discuss] Audigy2 card with 7.1 Channels, only getting 2

Marcus Cobden lists at marcuscobden.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 02:06:42 PDT 2007

Hi,
I've been working on this small media PC and have been trying to enable
7.1 (8) Channels from my Audigy 2 card and haven't got very far.

Setting the number of channels=6 or 8 in /etc/pulse/default.pa results
in messages like the following:

pulseaudio[6008]: alsa-util.c: device doesn't support 6 channels,
changed to 2.

Is this because my card drivers don't support 7.1? or is pulse somehow
going via alsa and that's causing a mess?

I've attached the output of pactl

Thanks