[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] PulseAudio 0.9.10

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 1 08:01:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, 01.04.08 16:35, Wouter de Geus (benv-pulseaudio.org at junerules.com) wrote:

> > No, the correct solution is to compile PA with capability support.
> >
> > Install libcaps-devel.
> >
> > Lennart
>
> *sigh*
>
> These kind of elitist jerk remarks are really not helping.

Elitist jerk? You asked what the fix for your problem was, I responded
-- my response was certainly terse, but complete. Then, you insulted
me. Who's the jerk here?

> As I stated before, I'm running slackware, so no libcaps-devel for
> me.

Dude, what do expect from me? That I'll translate the term
"libcaps-devel" into slackwarelese for you? I am pretty sure that
people who are capable of dealing with Slackware should be able to
translate what I mean with libcaps-devel into the right package name
for Slackware. Quite frankly I do believe that all people who compile
PA from source should be able to translate to the package name
specific to their distro.

I am not your monkey who knows what the package name of every piece of
free software is in every single esoteric distribution. Thank you very
much.

> I can of course go fetch it and build it myself, but if it's required
> you might as well make configure barf if it isn't present and drop the
> #ifdef from your code.

It's not required. It's just not a good idea to compile PA without
libcaps. It just isn't. If you want to do that than you need a very
good reason for it, i.e. embedded stuff.