[pulseaudio-discuss] 0.9.8 - Invalid value for card

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 8 07:45:02 PDT 2008

On Tue, 08.04.08 10:27, Jim Duda (jim at duda.tzo.com) wrote:

> This whole entire issue simply turned out to be a permissions issue.  Even a permissions issue while attempting to run
> pulseaudio as root.
>
> It turns out that I need to chmod 666 /dev/snd/* for this to work.
>
> chmod 660 /dev/snd/* causes pulseaudio to not be able to open the alsa device.
>
> I don't quite understand why, but this issue is now resolved for me.

If you run PA in system mode, than it will drop privs and becomes a
normal process as user "pulse". You thus have to give access to the
audio devices to that user, no 666 necessary.

  setfacl -m u:pulse:rwX /dev/snd/*

Please file a bug to upstream ALSA asking that they return EPERM or
EACCES on an access failure instead of the misleading EINVAL they are
apparently returning.