[pulseaudio-discuss] HOWTO: A52 Encoded 5.1 Surround SoundAwesomeness with PulseAudio and ALSA

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Tue Apr 15 05:24:29 PDT 2008

I can confirm that this work fine with my dolby decoder receiver.  I needed to add
the mmap=0 and fragments=6 switches to avoid any audio stutter.  When using this
method, pulseaudio consumes 20% of my 2.4G P4 processor while idle and 40% while
playing a stream via rtp_recv.  I assume this extra processor requirement is actually being
consumed by the a52 encoder in the alsa plugin?

Jim