[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio alsa configure hook

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 28 01:53:05 PDT 2008

Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>   The attached patch extends the alsa pulse plugin set with a alsa
>   configuration hook. Allowing one to specify some configuration parameters
>   that only come into effect when pulseaudio is running.

I was waiting with baited breath after your chat on IRC as to what your
solution would actually be!

I like it!

I think the overhead at initialisation is probably OK, although I guess
it depends on how an application works - e.g. if it constant opens and
closes alsa connections then does this overhead mount up? If not then
this looks like a good solution.

That said Lennart has said in the past that he didn't like the idea of
Alsa  automatically falling back to h/w access if pulse isn't
responding. (this was in reference to tweaking the alsa plugin itself,
rather than this approach which is slightly different conceptually,
albeit with the same end goal). I think his comment at the time was "it
masks configuration problems".

Do you have any thoughts on this Lennart?