[pulseaudio-discuss] Java and pulseaudio

John Stanley johnstops at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 03:35:13 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I hope this is the appropriate place for this question.. Anyway, I just
installed pulseaudio on a linux system (my own build, similar to
LFS/BLFS with XFCE 4.4.2 and a 2.6.23.9 kernel).  I've got a few rough
edges to work out, but pulseaudio works well with VLC, MPlayer, and
Firefox (no problems with concurrent sound output).  However, I simply
cannot get it to work with Java.  Java (jdk6u7) appears to hold output
audio devices exclusively so that no other apps can be run concurrently.
By the way, this does not happen with Java under KDE using ARts, so
apparently the KDE folks have a work-around. This appears to be a JAVA
bug , and has supposedly been fixed in jdk7 b20, however, I installed
jdk7 b32, and found that the problem remains. Is anybody aware of a
work-around for this (short of waiting on Sun)?

For the pulseaudio installation, I'm using pulseaudio-0.9.11, with the
package defaults for /etc/pulse/*, and my /etc/asound.conf is real simple:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

Would appreciate any help, pointers, etc., and thanks much for your  time.
John