[pulseaudio-discuss] Build problems with libltdl and bootstrap.sh

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Aug 17 13:14:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, 11.08.08 08:40, rdiezmail-pulseaudio at yahoo.de (rdiezmail-pulseaudio at yahoo.de) wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm cross-compiling on cygwin for a PowerPC target, and after building most of PulseAudio, I came across the following build error:
>
>   libtool: link: cannot find the library `../libltdl/libltdl.la' or
>   unhandled argument `../libltdl/libltdl.la'

This looks like a libtool issue. libtool 2.x is mostly incompatible
with older versions. The big, relevant distributions generally haven't
switched to lt 2.x due to this. And thus PA didn't either. You neead
an 1.x version of lt to build PA.

There have been patches flying around to make PA build fine with 2.x,
but I haven't merged them yet, and won't until Rawhide adopts it.

> I realised (rather late) that bootstrap.sh should be run before
> ./configure . As far as I can see, that's not mentioned anywhere,
> and it's not something obvious to most people, I took me a while to
> figure that out.

bootstrap.sh should be run only if you build from git. For normal
tarball builds it's just configure and make, nothing else.

The Windows port of PA is out-of-date. The last version of PA that I
know compiles fine on Windows is 0.9.6. And that was on mingw32 afaik,
not Cygwin.

Patches welcome.