[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Kevin Gilbert kevin952 at tpg.com.au
Wed Aug 27 15:16:09 PDT 2008

Thx for your prompt response. At work now so no more can be done until
tonight.

> > Excellent call. Did a "chmod 0666 /dev/snd/*" which resulted in:
>
> In theory, this chmod shouldn't be needed, this is probably
> console-kit's fault... getfacl should show your user as being granted
> permission here... Oh wait, you are using system mode right? Then
> perhaps the pulse user does not have access. Perhaps the pulse user
> should be added to the "audio" group (assuming the files are group owned
> by the audio group.

I agree that my approach is _very_ messy. Running as root with "--system",
chmod'ing & etc is far from "best practice". I'll tidy it all up when it's
working. My original approach of running as root was to overcome these
permission problems. Clearly, I didn't know that pulseaudio did a setuid.

> > D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
> > D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+29
> > E: module-alsa-sink.c: Assertion '(areas[0].step >> 3) == u->frame_size'
> > failed at modules/module-alsa-sink.c:177, function mmap_write().
> > Aborting. === end ===
>
> Ahhh indeed. This is the error I got when running pulse on my PS3! I
> really should have reported this before, but I didn't really play that
> long with Linux on the PS3.
>
> > === begin ===
> > # aplay -D plughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
> > Playing WAVE 'music/wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz,
> > Mono <sound from speakers - but no pulseaudo running>
>
> This just proves the device and permissions work. It seems the assert
> above is the real problem.

OK, progress has been made. Not sure how far I'll get but I'll have a look and
see what I can come up with.

Once again, thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated.

Kevin