[pulseaudio-discuss] java sound implementation using pulseaudio - ports

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 28 08:52:51 PDT 2008

Ioana Ivan wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Port inherits the following method from the Line interface:
>
> void *close*()
>
> Closes the line, indicating that any system resources in use by the line
> can be released.
> If this operation succeeds, the line is marked closed and a |CLOSE|
> event is dispatched
> to the line's listeners.
>
> I'm not sure how to release the system resources used by the line, since
> I've never allocated them
> myself. Would muting the sink/source and sending a CLOSE event be
> enough? I don't think
> there's any way for someone using the Java API to tell whether the line
> is using any system
> resources or not.

Hmmm, I'm not really versed enough in this, but I suspect you don't want
to do much at all on a close.

Other people may be using the device and to mute it when you call
close() would seem rude!

Personally, I think all you need to do is clean up any memory you are
using and free it up as per usual, but don't actually suspend or mute
the sink etc. Just tidy up any memory allocation you've done.

This is just a rough guess seeing as I don't really know any more than
you've posted here :p

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]