[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio cannot recognise ALSA plughw

kaworu fw kaworufw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 08:30:51 PST 2008

Hello,

I have a problem in starting pulseaudio with my EMU-0404USB after a recent
upgrade from Fedora9 to Fedora10.

It seems that pulseaudio cannot set some hw parameters to my card as
follows.  It fails to startup with default configuration which uses HAL so I
override the default.pa config file to force a load of module-alsa-sink with
plughw:0,0.  However it doesn't help.

$ pulseaudio
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
E: alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on plughw:0,0: Operation
not permitted
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument:
"device=plughw:0,0"): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

However the same device (plughw:0,0) works fine when I use aplay.  Any
clues?  Thanks!

$ aplay -v -D plughw:0,0 Track01.wav
Playing WAVE 'Track01.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
Plug PCM: Linear conversion PCM (S24_3LE)
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 44100
  exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 22050
  period_size  : 5513
  period_time  : 125011
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 5513
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 22050
  stop_threshold   : 22050
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 6206523236469964800
Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'E-MU 0404 | USB' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S24_3LE