[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio elusive

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 7 12:34:42 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 09:16:26AM PST, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jack Tanner at 07/12/08 14:55 did gyre and gimble:
> > Colin Guthrie <gmane <at> colin.guthr.ie> writes:
> >
> >> Well the main tool that is used when you have PA underneath is
> >> pavucontrol. This app will allow you to work with all your currently
> >> running streams and allow you to change the device they use etc. Once
> >> you change this setting it should be remembered from then on (e.g. pulse
> >> will know that VLC prefers to be on the Audigy, MythTV prefers the VIA etc.)
> >
> > Whoa! Colin, thank you, that just turned on so many lightbulbs. I'd run
> > pavucontrol a bunch of times, but nothing seemed incorrect from just looking at
> > the GUI. Following what you just said, I ran it with sound actually playing in
> > vlc at the same time, and lo! more stuff showed up. This was completely
> > non-obvious to me, that to make pavucontrol do anything, you had to have a
> > stream going at the same time.
>
> Yeah, I think more needs to be done here to make it more obvious. In
> actual fact a usability "improvement" was to default to the "Sinks" tab
> if no streams are running, but in actual fact if it started with a blank
> pane and some text saying "No active streams. This pane will list blah,
> blah blah" would actually be better for first time users etc.

Pavucontrol hasn't yet been included in Ubuntu, due to the UI issues that exist with it. I have asked someone on the Desktop Experience team to have a look at it, and if they think any UI redesign needs doing, we will likely be doing it for Ubuntu Jaunty.

So if anybody on the list has any other UI tweak suggestions, in conjunction with the Ubuntu Desktop Experience team, I will make patches available to improve pavucontrol's UI.

Luke