[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio elusive

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 9 12:20:01 PST 2008

'Twas brillig, and Ozan Çağlayan at 09/12/08 11:08 did gyre and gimble:
> Jack Tanner wrote:
>> I used pactl to exit PA and then had VLC use ALSA directly. Voila! No more
>> choppy video/audio. This is really too bad, I was just getting the hang of this
>> PA stuff. Is there anything I could try to speed up PA and/or make it use fewer
>> resources? The machine is a 3ghz Celeron 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 w/ 1GB RAM.
>>
> I think that timer-based scheduling enabled PA releases (>0.9.10) have
> some serious issues(like self destruction of the daemon because of cpu
> overload, impossibility to play a stream after a pause, etc.) I already
> posted some of our problems but I had no significant feedback. So we're
> still using 0.9.10 in Pardus.

Yeah we still used 0.9.10 in Mandriva too but 0.9.13 + a lot of patches
(or git master + a couple more patches to make it not break!) is working
quite nicely for me.

The glitch free nature is still settling down, but it will be the future :)

> Lennart doesn't show up quite a long time ago, hence no commits to the
> git tree. Unfortunately, I've got doubts about the future of the project..

Lennart's been on holiday for the last month, so it's been quiet on the
commits and posts here front so I wouldn't jump to such pessimistic
conclusions ;)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]