[pulseaudio-discuss] Fwd: it's a mess here...resource busy!!!

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 10 01:15:57 PST 2008

'Twas brillig, and Beinan Li at 10/12/08 07:00 did gyre and gimble:
> Running Ubuntu 8.04 on my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop.
> I have a USB SB Live! soundcard and a builtin AC97.
> Everytime when I unplugged my USB soundcard, pulseaudio connection is
> broken,
> and I had to restart X to bring it back (pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio -D
> doesn't do the trick).

Sounds like pulse has deadlocked somehow. After pulseaudio -k, can you
check to see if pulse is still running (ps aux| grep pulseaudio). If it
is then you can try a killall -9 pulseaudio to really nuke it, but it
would be good to get some debug out of it.

What really needs to happen tho' is to get a backtrace out of this.

Do the following in your shell (each block is one line):

export LD_BIND_NOW=1

gdb pulseaudio

handle SIGXCPU SIGPWR SIG33 SIG34 SIG42 SIG43 SIG44 SIG45 SIG46 SIG47
SIG48 SIG49 SIG50 SIG51 SIG52 SIG53 SIG63 SIG62 SIG61 SIG60 SIG59 SIG58
nostop noprint

run

This will run pulse under GDB (please note that you need to install
debugging symbols - don't know how that is done in Ubuntu).

Leave this terminal open and then make pulse crash. When it does go back
to this terminal and you should be at a prompt again. Type:
thread apply all bt full

Then copy the output to a file and attach it to a bug report on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/

It would also help to say what version of PA you are using. As it's an
older Ubuntu, I'd guess it's the stock 0.9.10 version?

> And sometimes flash for Firefox doesn't give sound, whether I install
> libflashsupport or flashplugin-nonfree.

What version of the flash plugin are you using. With version 9 there are
deadlocks in the audio API that adobe expose. There is nothing we can do
about that as it's not open software. They have fixed a lot of the
issues with their version 10 so you should try that if you are not
already (in theory libflashsupport is not needed there but it may still
be nicer to use it - there is a nicer name for the audio stream but
that's trivial!).

> And I constantly get message saying resource busy when I restart
> pulseaudio by -k -D.

Chances are the first pulseaudio is not dying properly with -k as I
noted above. If that's the case it will still be hogging the sound
device and the second version cannot access it (although the second
version should not run really - but perhaps at this point some other app
- e.g. flash has started using ALSA directly and that's why it's busy).

> HELP!!!!!!
>

> I pasted my `pulseaudio -vv` command output below.
>

> E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument:
> "device_id=0
> sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0"):
> initialization failed.

Yeah this basically means that something is using the device.

The output from the following command should tell you what application
is using the alsa device:

Here is the output on my machine when pulse is playing a track.

[colin at jimmy ~]$ sudo lsof | grep /dev/snd
kmix      7080      colin   10u      CHR              116,0        0t0
      3836 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi 7730      colin  mem       CHR             116,16
      3735 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
pulseaudi 7730      colin   17u      CHR              116,0        0t0
      3836 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi 7730      colin   18u      CHR             116,16        0t0
      3735 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
pulseaudi 7730      colin   19u      CHR              116,0        0t0
      3836 /dev/snd/controlC0
pulseaudi 7730      colin   26u      CHR              116,0        0t0
      3836 /dev/snd/controlC0

HTHs you debug some more.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]