[pulseaudio-discuss] couple with vnc

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 11 07:01:43 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 14:45 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> You shouldn't be using padevchooser anymore. It is obsolete.

As in completely obsolete?  i.e. distro vendors should not be shipping
it?  Note that I am using pulseaudio 0.9.10.  Not sure how that affects
this deprecation of padevchooser.

So if padevchooser is obsolete, how do I, as a desktop graphical user
access the manager, volume control, volume meters, preferences, etc.
that padevchooser gave me access to?  But most importantly, how do I
make default server, sink and source changes that padevchooser lets me
make?

> padevchooser basically does what pax11publish does: manipulate a few
> properties of the X11 root window. You can view them with "xprop -root
> | grep PULSE". Manipulating X11 root window properties is pretty easy
> from your own programs. Just check the pax11publish source code for
> more information.

Ahhh.  So the root properties are the canonical location of the
pulseaudio server settings.

I notice any currently playing audio (like a rhythmbox for example) does
not change play locations until it's paused/stopped and resumed.  I
guess there is no way to change in progress streams?  Although, I can do
that from the Volume Control applet, on a stream by stream basis.  Is
there a programmatic way of doing that?

for each stream in enumerate_streams()
  move_stream()
done