[pulseaudio-discuss] pidgin seems to get it's connection hung up

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 13 04:27:23 PST 2008

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 12/12/08 13:49 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, 12.12.08 13:47, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>
>>> $ grep Pidgin ~/.pulse/volume-restore.table
>>> pulsecore/protocol-native.c$Pidgin
>>>
>>> Or maybe this is much more useful:
>> It's kinda hard to tell from that how it works internally... you'd
>> really need to look at the pidgin code, but as Lennart said (seems
>> obvious now he said it!) Pidgin should use libcanberra... Not sure what
>> that means from a cross platform perspective tho'... I'm not sure
>> libcanberra works on windows yet... Lennart?
>
> No, it hasn't been ported to Windows yet. That should be easy
> however. It would only require a tiny backend that translates to XDG
> names to the standard windows event sound names. Patches welcome.

While I'm not in a position to do such patches (no windows) I'd imagine
this is probably a barrier to wider libcanberra use for apps like pidgin
etc. Tho' I can't say I've really thought about it in much depth.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]