[pulseaudio-discuss] a simple way to disable pa

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 07:59:22 PST 2008

Hello,

This is regarding pulseaudio on Ubuntu Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04). I have
noticed that some of my friends, who have moved from Windows recently,
are encountering problems with pulseaudio and some video clips (online
as well, e.g. flash). After tyring to sort out these problem for the
past few weeks, I have decided just to disable to pulseaudio for these
guys for the time being.

However, I am not sure how to disable pulseaudio while retaining all the
packages. The idea is to re-enable it in the future if needed.

So far I have removed some pulseaudio packages and the /etc/asound.conf
file. The packages that are left are:
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 libpulse-mainloop-glib0
libpulse0 libpulsecore5 pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-utils

I have also made all Preferences->Sound in Gnome to Alsa.

But a pulseaudio process is still running.

So, does anybody have any tip on how to just disable pulseaudio? I admit
I have not much knowledge about pulseaudio so I might be missing
something obvious.

Thanks.

PS: I have asked on Ubuntu's list as well, but I am hoping people here
know more about the guts of pulseaudio so I might get different insights
here.

ever having been read.