[pulseaudio-discuss] a simple way to disable pa

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 11:03:18 PST 2008

Sean McNamara wrote:

>> I see. But why reboot? Isn't there an init script to restart pulse audio
>> or something like this?
>
> Yes, there is an init.d script for pulseaudio in Ubuntu; you can also
> run `pulseaudio --daemonize=true`. I figured I would select the least

Ah, yes, thanks.

> complicated way of indicating that the daemon needs to be started
> again, considering the skill level implicit in the nature of your
> question.

I completely understand and agree with you on this one. The question
was, as you correctly guessed, geared from a novice's point of view. I
wouldn't feel comfortable telling a new user to open a terminal and
restart a daemon -- kind of pushes the new user away from Ubuntu, what
with the older impressions of Linux being only command line and what not.

> is sort of like "PulseAudio light" -- it provides the core
> functionality of software mixing, but you're missing out on all the
> other great features of PA. Of course, since Ubuntu doesn't take

Some hints on those features please?

For now, I have discovered in my Debian machines that I can change the
source and sink from pulseaudio's gui, restart the application of
interst and its sound get channeled through the new path.

> Good luck with Audacity - that's one of the most stubborn applications
> to get working on a system using either Dmix _or_ Pulseaudio.

hmm .. not very encouraging.

> There's no real consequence to removing the ubuntu-desktop package.
<SNIP>
> ubuntu-desktop, etc. along with it, that's fine. The rest of your
> desktop won't be affected, unless it for some reason tries to remove
> all the hundreds of GNOME packages too.

No, it is just that meta package that it removes (removal of pa).

Thanks for all your comments, very helpful.

Regards.

ever having been read.