[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio automatic startup

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Fri Feb 1 11:44:26 PST 2008

I'm using pulseaudio 0.9.6, on Fedora 7 installed via yum.
I'm current having to start pulseaudio -D manually.

Three Questions:
1) Should pulseaudio startup automatically somehow when someone logs into X?
If so, how does this work?  I've read all the docs, etc, but haven't found my answer.

2) I need to run pulseaudio on some diskless server machines which don't run X or have anyone login.
As such, I need to run pulseaudio as either a system daemon or some phantom user.
Is there a recommended approach to starting pulseaudio on a X-less machine, i.e., rc script?

3) I've read in a couple of posts that pulseaudio can be used with an spdif output.  Did that support
start with some version after 0.9.6?

Thanks,

Jim