[pulseaudio-discuss] Help wanted for porting Skype to use PulseAudio

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sat Feb 2 09:21:28 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 10:03:36 -0700, Richi Plana <richip at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 17:38 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Big +1 on this. Making it a community project would seriously help their
> > > Linux users and as a result their reputation (Skype's) would increase.
> >
> > Where's the actual pro for Skype?  I'm somewhat happy with Ekiga...
> > Though it doesn't have direct support for PA, ALSA default works and
> > placing pulse redirection into asound.conf does the trick.
>
> Personally, in my case, 1) ratio of acquaintances on Skype as opposed to
> some Ekiga-supported network/protocol, and 2) (here, I have to be

Ekiga is a SIP/H.323 client. So only standardized, interoperable
network protocols, opposed to the proprietary stuff Skype does...

> Other than the fact that it's a closed-source app, there are actually a
> ton of reasons to use it. And I haven't looked at Ekiga's source code
> recently so in my case, it boils down to how well they're supported by
> people other than myself ... and they (Skype people) seem to be doing a
> good job recently.

They started with a completely wrong approach IMHO.  And Ekiga (or any
other SIP client) is as easy to install, has voice and video support
and is interoperable, in contrast to Skype.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Friends are relatives you make for yourself.