[pulseaudio-discuss] Saving an audio stream

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Feb 6 16:40:46 PST 2008

Greetings.

I now have pulseaudio set up and apparently working as my default device
( when I play sounds etc I can see the levels in pavumeter moving ).

So now I'm on to my reason for setting up pulseaudio: to copy audio
streams. If anyone is wondering why ... my wife has found a site that
has LOTS of traditional Cambodian music that she wants to listen to, but
it's ONLY available via f'n Adobe Flash, so she has to visit the site
each time she wants to listen to it. This is clearly ridiculous.

I have installed the 'libflashsupport' library and now when Flash plays
sounds, it also registers on pavumeter.

So ... how exactly to I save stuff going through pulseaudio to a file?

I've tried uncommenting the 'module-pipe-sink' line in the default
configuration file, but when I try to play sounds after that ( ie with
'aplay' ), the process just hangs. Also the file /tmp/music.output
doesn't grow from 0 bytes. So I assume it doesn't quite work like this.
Perhaps I have to attach something to this file? What do I do? I just
want a format that I can later edit ( because many songs play one after
the other, and we want to cut them up into individual files ) and
convert to mp3s with lame.

I've looked through the wiki etc but haven't seen anything about saving
streams to disk.

Thanks :)

Dan

--