[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio automatic startup

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 13 17:20:58 PST 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>> Hmm, I wonder if there are any drawbacks of this way to start PA. Does
>>> gnome-session still upload the samples correctly if it doesn't start
>>> esd/PA by itself? It has been a while since I last had a look on the
>>> g-s source code.
>>>
>>> If that's not a problem, than I might do a similar change on Fedora, too.
>> Not 100% sure about that one. I certainly get my login sound but I have
>> been a little confused about not seeing samples in the cache....
>> although this is no doubt due to me restarting pulseaudio since logging
>> in (I generally don't log out/in much provided my suspend is behaving..).
>>
>> I'll let you know.
>
> Just tested and it seems to load fine a gnome login plays the sounds nicely.

I meant to mention in the previous mail but forgot...

Is pulse supposed to maintain several EsounD socket connections.

After logging in I see about 10 or 11 such clients in paman. While doing
lsof and grepping for the socket file itself only pulseaudio is recorded
as having them open. Perhaps it's not closing the sockets correctly? Or
perhaps apps just maintain a permananet socket connection and all is as
it should be? Certainly several apps have libesound open so it's
entirely possible.

Also (completly OT now but as I may have your attention ;) when I use
the latest mplayer svn pulse code, when I use -ao esd (pointless I know)
I see two connections in paman Clients tab... one is a standard named
"EsounD client..." and the other is simply "MPlayer" (same as appears
for a -ao pulse). mplayer + esd has a fairly high latency FWIW, audio
and video appear out of sink for me and just playing a simple mp3 is
slower to start than with -ao pulse too. Just thought I'd mention it
(not really an important issue IMO but the same latency may affect other
apps where no specific pulse interface exists - certainly users have
reported that to me - so if you have any thoughts please share them :)).