[pulseaudio-discuss] Some things needed for wider acceptance of the NewPulseWorldOrder ; )

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 15 14:28:17 PST 2008

On Thu, 14.02.08 11:56, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Being in the thick of things at a distro adoption level, these are the
> things I think that are important for pulse to be fully accepted.
>
> 1. Improvements to the pulse alsa plugin to make it more tolerant of
> buggy alsa clients. Yes the correct fix is to fix broken clients but if
> there is anything that can be done here, IMO it should as while I agree
> with the principle of fixing the real problem and making better apps
> etc. there is just too much backlash against this at the moment and it's
> not helping pulse gain a good reputation in some cases.

Patches welcome!

> 2. The alsa plugin should fall back gracefully to real hw if pulse is
> not running. This is a biggie IMO. Can it be done.

No! This hides configuration bugs.

> 3. Make spawning/starting better/more reliable. Either get autospawning
> working nicely or make pulse auto-restart itself after a crash (not a
> successful shutdown tho'!). Clearly not crashing would be preferred but,
> hey, nothings perfect eh!

I don't like auto-spawning. Also hides configuration bugs. Not a good
idea.

I think the focus needs to be to improve ALSA compat code and to fix the
 PA startup hooks to guarantee that PA is always started for all
 sessions, including "legacy" ones.

> With these things addressed I think we'd have much less hostility
> towards pulse (of course not everyone is hostile but those that are are
> quite good at it!!).

Hmm. Hostilities? I see no hostilities! ;-)

Quite frankly, I expected a lot more flamewars. I am feeling like I am
only in a cage with bunnies, and had expected a lion's cage, after
pushing PA into Fedora default.

I mean, I kind of got the impression that the CK+HAL stuff in the end
resulted in far more flamewars than PA did (at least that's what
happened on the Fedora side).

Or maybe I just made it too easy for the PA haters to disable PA.