[pulseaudio-discuss] Controlling where module-rtp-send sends multicast packets?

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:53:53 PST 2008

On 2/20/08, Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:
> matt wrote:
>  > In an effort to use more of the pc that I already have running
>  > 24 7 I have opted to keep the amps right next to the pc and
>  > run speaker wiring throughout the house.  Thus I have no need
>  > for remote nodes throughout the house.  All remote contrl will
>  > be done via web tablets in the rooms.
>
> i see.  that makes sense.
>
> well, i'm _not_ an audio nut :-), and my audio setup takes advantage of
> the thin clients already running 24/7 in various rooms of the house.
> so somewhat different design criteria, but the logical architecture
> of what we're doing ends up being pretty similar.

This is a very cost effective setup:
http://www.htd.com/amplifiers/12-Channel-Amplifier
Provides six rooms of stereo amps $649
NSLU as music source $80
USB disk $100
USB 1.0 hub and 4 USB audio cards $100 (USB 2.0 hub must be multi-TT)
I run four copies of mpd on the NSLU2.

Existing Nokia N800 with mpd client for remote control.

This setup has some drawbacks but it is very cost effective at
$150/room plus speakers.

My house had speakers with volume controls in each room installed by
the previous owner.

30W/channel amps are plenty for background music. HTD sells
60W/channel but you won't need it.