[pulseaudio-discuss] Emulate Alsa A52 plugin in pulseaudio ?

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Thu Feb 28 13:58:26 PST 2008

Tanu,

Okay, what you are describing makes sense.  We route the 6 channels back through alsa and the a52 encoding, then out the
actual device driver.

The front-spdif was leftover stuff in my asoundrc file.

I also need to send the raw AC3, DTS stream from some applications to the external digital decoder (mplayer and xine).
Currently, I do this by using alsa:device=spdif in the applications which require this mode, instead of the stereo
upmix.

So, to accomplish this, do I define two alsa-sinks?

module-load module-alsa-sink sink_name=ac3_out device=a52encode channels=6 rate=48000
module-load module-alsa-size sink_name=ac3_raw device=surround51:0

Then my .asoundrc has this:

pcm.!default {
   type pulse
   device ac3_out
}

pcm.passthrough {
  type pulse
  device ac3_raw
}

pcm.a52encode {
   type a52
}

The default would do stereo upmix from 2 to 6 channels through a52 encoder.

The passthrough would send the raw ac3/dts stream out the hardware.

Does this make sense?  (I would test now, but I have to go off and build 0.9.8 first, since FC7 uses 0.9.6 currently).

Thanks,

Jim