[pulseaudio-discuss] cracks and pops with intelHDA

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Mon Jan 7 08:59:44 PST 2008

> I was wondering if anybody was experiencing random cracks and pops (loud
> ones actually :( ) while using pulseaudio with intelHDA? I have the
> following configuration for my inbuilt intelHDA card and will be
> thankful if somebody helped me out here. I haven't observed cracks and
> pops on my other card (Griffin iMic). I am using pulseaudio 0.9.8 which
> is able to acquire realtime scheduling priority and a nice level of -11.

If you have true realtime scheduling, you don't need "nice" levels. If a
process in the realtime queue is ready to run, it will run, even if
there are dozens of processes in the "normal" queue ready to run and
even if they are all nice'd -19 (the maximum).

Besides that, a properly designed sound system (software and hardware)
doesn't need a high priority to work smoothly.

So you have another problem here, actually. How is sound reproduction
using purely alsa (without pulse)?

I have a similar problem in that a pulse stream plays for a few moments,
starts to hiccup and then stops altogether. It doesn't matter which
program I use. Using alsa directly there is no problem. On my other
computer it works like expected, though. I have no need to use pulse
anymore (it doesn't solve my problem) so my problem is gone ;-)