[pulseaudio-discuss] cracks and pops with intelHDA

Ritesh Kumar ritesh at cs.unc.edu
Sat Jan 12 10:36:44 PST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 6:35 AM, Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:

> Ritesh Kumar wrote:
>
> > What was problem you wanted to solve... (network audio?). May be I can
> help.
>
> I had posted here a few weeks ago. I have an amplifier with USB terminal
> (and accompanying DAC) that removes the USB DAC (power down) when
> powered down. This is a problem for me because I need to supply both the
> amplifier and the internal soundcard with audio 24/7. When the amplifier
> 's USB DAC goes away, the device is removed by alsa, which most programs
> don't like. My thought was to use PulseAudio to solve this, but
> PulseAudio does indeed notice that the USB DAC goes away, and actually
> even re-enables it when it comes back, but never inserts it back into
> the "combined" device.
>
> Now I've solved it using mpd (which can drive multiple outputs and
> enable/disable these at well) and udev (to enable/disable the USB DAC in
> mpd when powering up/down the amplifier). Works nicely.

This does seem to be something pulseaudio should do right... to bad that
didn't work that well. I remember seeing a video of a demo of pulseaudio
showing the connection and disconnection of an audio device and how a
"send-to-all" virtual sink worked properly. However, the demo was with a GUI
so I don't remember what commands could be given to pacmd to achieve the
same effect.

Good to know that you were able to solve the problem using mpd/udev.

_r