[pulseaudio-discuss] cracks and pops with intelHDA

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jan 13 05:38:13 PST 2008

On Sat, 12.01.08 22:36, Ritesh Kumar (ritesh at cs.unc.edu) wrote:

> > > 1) Can suspend-to-ram cause timing problems in pulseaudio? If not then
> > the
> > > kernel's USB audio driver seems to be doing something fishy here.
> >
> > Generally PA should survive STR. But many drivers don't. As usual
> > with STR, YMMV.
> >
> > > 2) Why did intel mandate 192kHz audio sampling in intel HDA? Are there
> > any
> > > applications for such high sampling rates?
> >
> > They didn't mandate 192 kHz. HDA leaves a lot of room for specific
> > implementations.
> >

> Sorry about the wording of my question. Are there any advantages of using
> such high sampling rates in sound cards?

For audio production: yes. For normal people: no. For "audiophiles":
definitely, and gold cables rock, too. ;-)

> P.S. Lennart, I received a whole bunch of mails from you on this mailing
> list in the last hour... was this intentional or were you sending mail all
> this while and I received all of them just now... this shouldn't happen
> though... :(

No, I was just cleaning up my inbox. That's all. Usually, tuesday is
my "email" day, where I try to respond to emails I have not responded
to during the week and cleanup my inbox. However, I skipped it this
tuesday, so I did it yesterday.