[pulseaudio-discuss] PA overamplification

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Jan 13 11:47:34 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 07:17:39PM +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> as I explained in my bug[1] I have problem with PA because of over
> amplification and I need to put every application stream on 50%.
>
> Is there some way to define that every new aplication stream has a
> default volume of 50% and not 100% when it starts because that would
> temporarely solve my problem.

Yes there is, put "load-module module-match" in default.pa,
and create file ~/.pulse/match.table with one line: ".*
32000".

The ".*" part is a regular expression matching all streams,
and 32000 is the volume for matching streams (the value
range is 0-65535).

Better solution would of course be solving the actual cause
for this problem. I'd guess the sound card does digital
amplification. alsamixer shows some amplification value for
the sliders, I don't know how reliable it is, though. But
anyway, run "alsamixer -c0" (replace 0 with something else
if the sound card doesn't have index 0) and if some slider
shows positive gain, lower it. The gain is shown in the
"Item:" line in upper left corner.

--
Tanu Kaskinen