[pulseaudio-discuss] (no subject)

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 18:47:14 PDT 2008

The support for swapping streams is only for PulseAudio streams, not
DirectSound/Windows KS/ASIO streams. That means you would only have
this capability for Windows apps that can act as a PulseAudio client
(certainly, there aren't many out there).

But if you're an application author and want to take advantage of
this, then as long as you are building your application using a
toolchain that can also compile the pulseaudio client (libpulse), you
should be able to do it. Mingw32 and Cygwin immediately come to mind;
an unknown/untested alternative might be Windows SfU or SUA (Services
for Unix / Subsystem for Unix-based Applications).

There is already a precompiled build of a (fairly old) PulseAudio
server from Cendio; you can find the link at the pulseaudio.org
website.

If you don't have an existing PulseAudio client on Windows, and don't
want to create your own, then PulseAudio can not solve your problem...
you might google some proprietary solution like Virtual Audio Cable,
at your own peril.

--Sean