[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio <-> ALSA issues

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 9 03:35:09 PDT 2008

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>> Do you write a little data and wait for it to start? Or do you just pump
>> data in and analyse it later. The reason I ask is that IIRC pulse will
>> not start playing until a minimum buffer size is reached, so if you only
>> put in a couple samples it probably wont start playing.
>>
>> Try pumping in more data first.
>>
>> (Apologies if I've got this wrong, I'm going from memory of other
>> peoples comments - which I can't testify to in the first place, let
>> along guarantee the quality of my own memory!)
>
> You were basically right and you are still with that also.
> The issue was that we relied on snd_pcm_delay() to stay smaller than
> 200msecs. When it got bigger we stopped feeding data to the alsa buffer
> since we actually thought the buffer is full (which isn't the case as
> you wrote) and so we got stuck :-(
>
> Thanks for the help. The app is running fine now with pulse.

Woot! :)

Glad to help. If you want you or the apps original devs can pitch in on
the alsa-dev mailing list on the thread I linked to earlier as there is
talk about adding API functions etc. Although there was some consensus,
I think the thread has dried up a little and I'm not sure anyone is
taking on the mantle of adding the necessary functions. So a gentle poke
with fresh impetus would probably help :D