[pulseaudio-discuss] Question from a new user

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 29 13:35:28 PDT 2008

Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have just subscribed to this list.
> I want to record what is coming through my soundcard.
> I am using Ubuntu Hardy v8.04.
> I have been trying to use both Audacity and Gnusound with padsp but so far no luck. I cannot playback or record anything when using this.
> Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.

What you want to do is record the "monitor" source for your sink.

$ pactl list | grep "Monitor Source"
Monitor Source: alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor

You should then be able to use something like:

$ parec alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor >file.wav

Or even something more fancy like:
$ gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc
device=alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor ! audioconvert
  ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! shout2send ip=<blah> port=8000 password=hackme
mount=stream.ogg

However, I'm having trouble with this right now on my 0.9.11 install :s

/me wonders if monitor streams are broken in 0.9.11