[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio closes suddenly

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 30 11:51:21 PDT 2008

On Thu, 24.07.08 19:17, Sladan (sladivadi at aon.at) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a problem because Pulseaudio very often stops when using
> Aptitude. This also happens sometimes while just browsing the web.
> I always listen to an internet readio mms stream and suddenly the music
> stops. I then have to restart Pulseaudio which I can use until the next
> shutdown of it.
> People in the IRC helped me to post the output here:
> http://pastebin.com/m286d0691
> Then I also tried with '--no-cpu-limit' option. This caused Pulseaudio
> to use 99%-100% CPU according to top and I had to 'kill -9 PID#' it. The
> last line was 'I: protocol-native.c: connection died.'
> After that I did 'strace pulseaudio'. The output is here:
> http://pastebin.com/m72c9df3c

The CPU limit stuff is just a protection to not block your machine
indefinitely. It is reaction to your problem, not reason. Turning off
the CPU limiter is never a good idea.

> I use Debian Testing AMD64 and a Creative X-Fi card. There is Pulseaudio
> 0.9.10 and Kernel 2.6.25 and I listen using Totem Gstreamer Mozilla plugin.
> My ~/.pulse/default.pa is here: http://pastebin.com/m721a74f3
> ~/.asoundrc is: http://pastebin.com/m3b6af4f7

Is ALSA's "multi" plugin in the pipeline if you do this? (you can find
that out with aplay -v on the same device that PA opens).