[pulseaudio-discuss] Notification and feedback system (was: Re: Multiseat and pulseaudio)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 30 14:51:33 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> padevchooser is not unfixable. It's just that someone should sit down
> and get rid of the braindamage that is in there. Patches welcome.

I've been wanting to write a pa subsystem for a while that could ask the
user some questions and await feedback, but I'm not really 100% sure if
it's sensible or not.

I was thinking of something pretty simple that would be capable of:
   1. Simple notification popups for information (detected new network
device, new USB device etc.)
   2. Simple yes/no questions. (New Sink found, do you want to move all
active streams to it and set it as default?)
   3. Ask simple questions (Your apple airport device requires a
username and password, please enter it now.)

I would envisage that the core would be extended to provide a few
functions that modules could call to do the necessary and then I'd
expect a module could be written to register as a "notification
handler". That would allow for a module that interfaces with e.g.
libnotify to be written (this would allow for a different KDE module to
be written too).

For 1 and 2, it would be pretty simple Nut for 3 it could be a bit more
complex.

Lennart, have you got any thoughts on this? Am I way off track here or
is this vaguely sensible?