[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink volume linearity

Matthew Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Wed Jun 4 21:14:11 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I have been playing around with the volume control on my whole home
audio system trying to make it nonlinear so we are able to fine tune the
volumes we listen at most. Unfortunately it appears that the sink volume
controls do not allow enough range (I think this would be dynamic range
in audio terms). Basically, if I set the system up so 100% volume is as
loud as I want things to go, 1% is not quiet enough. I have tried
setting the sink volumes using pacmd where the range of volumes is
1-65535. A value of 0 is muted, but 1 is quite loud.

Any thoughts/experiences on this?

I'm contemplating setting both the stream and sink volumes so I can have
more granularity of control.

Matt