[pulseaudio-discuss] Needed kernel modules for pulseaudio

Michael Schöller michael.schoeller at schoeller-soft.net
Wed Jun 11 15:04:16 PDT 2008

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if this question
was already answered 100 times before but I did not find anything about
this.

I'm running Fedora9 on an PS3. I configured pulseaudio and with the
default kernel sound is running fine. Now I want to compile my own
kernel. So I download the newest kernel sources from the ps3 kernel tree
and created an config file with make ps3_defconfig. Well with this
kernel sound aplay is working so sound support seems to be ok. The
problem is that it looks like pulse audio is not finding the sound
device. The mixer applet in gnome stop working too.
So my question is what have to be activated in the kernelconfig, so that
pulseaudio (or maybe audio, I'm not really sure if this is an pulseaudio
problem) is working again. Maybe it has something to do with HAL support
but I know really nothing about that stuff so I hope some "sound
experts" could give me an Hand.

Well since I'm nearly clueless when it comes to kernel debugging some
may ask why I was trying. Well the reason is simple. The default kernel
works but is really lame on an PS3 the kernel made with "make
ps3_defconfig" is much faster but lacks sound support as described (and
graphic support if you don't activate PCI support in the kernel
config<-bug in xorg)

Michael