[pulseaudio-discuss] remap-sink reproduces sound on more than the target channels

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Jun 12 10:53:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:36:16AM -0700, Matthew Patterson wrote:
> I have an update on this front. I downloaded a 8 channel wave file, and
> when I play it via the 8 channel sink I get perfect channel seperation.
> If I play the same file via one of the 2 channel sinks then I get the
> sound reproduced on outputs other than what that sink is tied to BUT the
> volumes are different making me think this is some kind of virtual
> surround. Does ALSA or pulse have the ability to cause this, or is this
> basically the sound card being annoying?

Pulseaudio semi-intelligently makes stereo streams surround
streams, if you have a surround sound card. Unfortunately
this affects the streams from the remap sinks too (I think
this will be fixed real soon now in svn, if Lennart approves
the new behaviour). Fortunately the feature can be disabled
in daemon.conf (disable-remixing).

--
Tanu Kaskinen