[pulseaudio-discuss] How to PA -> PA

Fog_Watch db5 at exemail.com.au
Tue Jun 17 20:57:13 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm the guy who tried to PA -> old ESD.  Well everything is fresh as a
daisy PulseAudio.  I still can't figure it out.

You might remember the situation, "I am wanting to send sound from my
Proliant application server to an old client X box."  Both computers
are fresh Gentoo/Pulseaudio 0.9.10.  My guesses are as follows:

The server /etc/pulse/default.pa is configured
.nofail
load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
.fail
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2
rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink" load-module module-rtp-send
source=rtp.monitor load-module module-volume-restore load-module
module-default-device-restore load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

When I use mplayer to send sound to the pulse driver the network
floods.  I presume from this that sound is getting out.

The client /etc/pulse/default.pa is configured:
.nofail
load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
.fail
load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp
load-module module-rtp-recv
load-module module-volume-restore
load-module module-default-device-restore
load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

And client /etc/pulse/client.conf
default-server = tcp:application_server_name:4713

On the client, with the sound card and speakers I can mpg123 -o
alsa /tmp/filename.mp3 and get sound. But, if I /etc/init.d/pulseaudio
start, which starts pulseaudio as:
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog --disallow-module-loading=1
--fail=1 --daemonize=1 --system
I get silence.  Silence is not golden.  Is there some documentation or
something obvious, that I missed?

Regards

Fog_Watch.
--