[pulseaudio-discuss] volume control of a playback stream ...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 24 02:26:22 PDT 2008

cal wrote:
> As far as I can tell, you can set the volume of a stream when you set it up, but
> once it's in play so to speak, you can't change the per channel volume on the
> fly. Does that seem right, or am I missing something?

What do you mean "When you set it up"? pavucontrol can change the volume
of any running stream - or are you talking about from an API level?
Regardless you can change the volume of a running stream no problem.

The tricky bit is trying to catch a stream that is very short - like
sound events. To adjust their volume is pretty tricky!

This limitation is being addressed tho'. (AFAIK).