[pulseaudio-discuss] External Volume Controls

Matthew Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Tue Jun 24 08:52:50 PDT 2008

I can't really help much with the problem, but I thought I would toss in
a little bit of knowledge. I asked the list about volume control
range/linearity a few weeks ago because I thought it was software based.
Lennart replied that whenever possible pulse uses the hardware control
built into the sound device. Thus you should get better volume control
than you were thinking just by using the normal controls.

I also thought I would throw in that I have spent the last few months
assembling a whole home audio system with 5 stereo zones that used pulse
audio plus some custom python and php code to provide a audio multiplex
switch. I actually just finished adding the 5th zone and it all scales
wonderfully (pulse is well built!). I don't think it is really along the
lines of what you are looking for because all my code just talks to the
command line interface (like pacmd) but I am perfectly happy to share code?

Colin, Lennart: Is there a place where pulse users can post their open
source projects based on pulse? That might inspire me to clean up my
code and make it not horrendous :)

Matt