[pulseaudio-discuss] GStreamer + "Frozen" streams + memory eating

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 4 01:45:10 PST 2008

Hi,

I've been having some trouble lately with (I think) the GStreamer sink.

Let me try to explain:

When suspending on my laptop, gnome-power-manager often plays a "bing"
noise to let me know I've closed my lid (I know I've closed my lid by
virtue of the fact I've just closed the lid.... ;)). When the machine
comes back from resume, there is sometimes (maybe one in three?) a
problem with playing sound. I think this is an ALSA issue (rmmodding the
snd_hda_intel and modprobing it again works) but that is another matter.

When this happens there is often a "frozen" stream listed in
pavucontrol. It just sits there never ending. In order to reload the
alsa driver, I have to kill pa as it is "hogging" the sound card due to
this frozen stream. When I kill pa (or indeed just the stream),
gnome-power-manager "goes nuts". It eats memory and loads the system
quite heavily.

I have to kill gnome-power-manager.

I initially put this down to g-p-m doing something silly, but looking at
the sound code there is very little in the way of loops and it just
off-loads to gstreamer.

Last night, I noticed that a similar thing had happened but this time I
had lots of pidgin streams "saved up". I started killing them and the
same thing happened, pidgin started going nuts and eating ram.

So the common factor is gstreamer. Does anyone have any info on this?

I'm using gstreamer0.10-pulse-0.9.7 + pulseaudio 0.9.8