[pulseaudio-discuss] Cheap little pulse server

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 4 05:54:51 PST 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> OK so this is just me thinking out loud now.
>
> Has anyone priced up how cheap they could make a pulse server?
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> * Small mobo with not very powerful CPU.
> * Sound output (obviously)
> * Small amount of ram
> * Ethernet (wired and/or wireless)
> * Onboard flash or PXE capable boot
>
> With the above it would be possible to tailor a small linux install to
> boot and run pulse and have it publish itself to your network with
> zeroconf-publish and tunnel-sink.
>
> Has anyone done any research on this? What's the cheapest possible way
> of doing it. Anyone manage to rip out cheap consumer electronics gear
> and slap their own linux kernel + pulse on it?

Was just thinking about this again after reading a post about an HD-DVD
player that is apparently running RHEL....
http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/05/05/77332.aspx

Seeing as these are now obsolete you can probably pick one up on ebay
for not too much... e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toshiba-HD-A1-Player-HD-DVD-Player_W0QQitemZ250217985294QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3316QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think it will be too easy to hack, but perhaps for the brave :)